Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thursday Night Weigh-In: Managing Expectations

Hello, gentle readers. As mentioned in last week's weigh-in, it's been another rough week for work and working out. I began the week on track on the track, walking seven miles and doing the full upper body circuit on Saturday, then 3 miles on the treadmill and a leg and stomach circuit on a rainy Sunday morning. Walked another 7 miles on Monday but was too tired to go to the gym, 3 1/2 mile full-walk Tuesday morning but took the night off. Because I needed to get to work on time Wednesday to be taken out for a bon voyage dinner that evening and had an interview workshop first thing this morning, I've only had time for a half-walk (1.6 miles) the past two mornings.

This evening, I did a full-walk at the track with some great weather for wearing shorts, a full upper body circuit at the gym and stepped on the scale. No change, folks. I plateaued this week at 329 pounds, and I'll take it! However, I am going to have to relinquish my second intermediate goal of 320 pounds by Halloween because there is no way in Hades I'm going to push myself to lose nine pounds in the next week. It's unrealistic, especially with my last week of employment to work through. Tomorrow marks my fifth year anniversary with the agency I'm now leaving, and although tomorrow would be the perfect day to say goodbye, I am pushing myself to finish what I started with this mantra: I've worked there five years, I can make it through five days. But it will be difficult and stressful not only tying up loose ends for my department before I leave but also saying goodbye to my wonderful co-workers who honored me last night not only with a free meal, Hallmark card, gift card to the movies and Reese's treats, but also with their presence, laughter, friendship, and support.

For the next week, I will have to manage the expectations of my department as well as my own because there is only so much I can do for either of us. I won't be able to accomplish everything before I leave my job, just as I won't be able to reach 320 by next Thursday, but I'll do the best I can for them and myself until next Friday. And on All Hallow's Eve, when the moon is full and the Celtic New Year begins, I will celebrate my newfound freedom, look forward to embarking on a new career path while letting go of the old one, and have the energy and time to revisit my weight loss resolutions (see the "A Time for Balance" blog entry here). I'll even have an extra hour to sleep in when we "fall back" from Daylight Saving Time on November 1st!

And it's now the witching hour and time for bed. I've got a full-walk ahead of me tomorrow morning, so until next time, good night, woof, and blessed be.

No comments:

Post a Comment